Bradfield Park Campsite – A brief history
Suffolk County Scout Council purchased this parkland site in partnership with Bury St Edmunds and Sudbury District Scout Councils in November 2001.
The site was Officially Opened for camping by The Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk, Lord Tollemache on Saturday Afternoon, 28th June 2003. The site consists of approximately 26 acres (10.5 hectares) of grassland and specimen trees with preservation orders and is located in the village of Bradfield Combust some four miles south from the Cathedral town of Bury St Edmunds.
For centuries the historic medieval Abbey in Bury St Edmunds owned the Parkland. In Roman times a road ran past the entrance to the Park, linking to other roads in East Anglia. This road is still marked on Ordnance Survey Maps and now forms part of the A134.
The wonderful trees in the Park were planted by Arthur Young (1741-1820) a prolific author, who wrote many important books on agriculture and owned a local farm. However, it is to his father who was Rector of the 14th Century Church of All Saints (opposite the campsite) that we owe the planting of the magnificent avenue of trees that leads to the present Hall. (Not in our ownership).
The Bradfield and Stanningfield Scout Troop was first registered in 1919 and met in a barn adjacent to ‘The Manger’ Public House. A Mr A.F.Chapman from Bradfield Hall was Scoutmaster for over 16 years from 1923. He ran a most successful Scout Troop with Rover Scouts, making use of the Park for camping and Scouting activities.
Our acquisition renews the Scouting connection with the Park. May you also enjoy this beautiful Parkland.